I suggest you write about ...

Review of One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Highly popular book by Ann Voskamp about giving thanks for everything with a controversial last chapter.

31 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Barbara H.Barbara H. shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Linda GaleLinda Gale commented  · 

I also would like you to review this book. It is especially popular among younger women who seem to see something missing in their Christian experience/life.

• Nora GrinnNora Grinn commented  · 

I would like for you to review this as well. Please?

• Debbie DemiDebbie Demi commented  · 

I wasn't going to read the book, because of the unfavorable review that you sent us to. But, after many of my friends were reading the book, I thought that it'd be helpful for me to read it as well just to see what they were reading. I didn't love the book by any means - but I felt like the review was rather harsh. Many women that I respect really enjoyed the book and benefited from it.

I can't put my finger on what I don't like about it. I can't tell if it's theologically wrong or if I just don't like her style. So I was wondering if you could read this book and give your thoughts on the theology of it and maybe give a more balanced view of the book as a whole (not just the last chapter). I'd like to have something concrete to take to my friends. Or, maybe the book is just neutral. I'm not sure.

So I'm with Sunny below, could you please, please review the book. It's becoming a VERY popular book even in reformed Christian circles. We need a popular voice to speak into this.

• Lisa BailesLisa Bailes commented  · 

Many of my friends, even those with a solid Biblical foundation, are reading and recommending this. I could only read a few chapters until I became very uncomfortable. I can't quite put my finger on her perspective and would so appreciate an objective review. Too many ladies are saying this is the best book they have ever read and that makes me very uncomfortable.

• Sunny ShellSunny Shell commented  · 

Hey there Tim, I'd really appreciate you doing a book review on this book. It's not just the last chapter that's controversial, but really the entire book being based more on our experiences, feelings, etc. rather than on God. Also, it seems she writes somewhere that everyone is saved (w/o any mention of repentance for sins, trust or faith in Christ) but that all things have been made new and given the "new birth" b/c of Jesus work on the Cross.

I think this is a seriously dangerous book and especially b/c it's so popular.

Please, please review this book.

Thank you!

Feedback and Knowledge Base